FMHS Online Student Newspaper

THE HIGH TIDE

Halloween’s Appeal

Eleni Stilian, Editor

wave-runner-week-2With less than a week until the big day, I’ve learned there are two kinds of people when preparing for Halloween. There’s the people who have been planning every meticulous detail of the holiday since November 1st of the previous year, and those who just figure it out as the thirty first approaches. Either way, there’s a clear consensus that Halloween is one of the more favored holidays, myself included, but I’ve never really taken the time to ask why it is so special to so many people. Here’s what I’ve come up with.

It starts with your childhood, being able to dress up however you want, you can become anyone or anything for an entire night, and let’s not forget the free candy that some indulge in until close to December that sets this holiday apart from others. These memories of good times solidify your bias towards this holiday even if the actual event may be somewhat mediocre. We want to believe that our holiday was fantastic just because we remember it being fantastic when we were younger, and who actually wants to admit that they’re “too grown up” for Halloween festivities?  For a night, your biggest worries become  “is there enough candy and “does anyone gets my costume reference?”  

That’s not to say that the holiday is anything less than entertaining as you get older. In my opinion, that’s in large part due to the movie industry. Yes, movies. ABC Family, or FreeForm (?) as it goes by currently, has a huge following on their holiday programming of the “13 Nights of Halloween” specials. For thirteen days and nights one can satisfy their needs for spooky, creepy elements that one is really only subjected to once a year. Films like “Hocus Pocus”, “The Addams Family” and “Coraline” make their annual debut after a period of hiatus that only makes viewers crave it more. I myself recently watched “The Corpse Bride” by Tim Burton. It brings back all the old memories of being snuggled under warm blankets as temperatures dipped into the mid sixties and my dad’s favorite holiday candle burned as we relaxed from a day of pumpkin carving. Not to mention, the actual composition has a great plot line and character development, but I digress.

Perhaps the biggest selling point of Halloween is the informality of it all. No large family dinners are required, you don’t have to talk about your great aunt Betsy’s new Bingo strategy or listen to the same three stories that every family member seems to have a different recollection from, and most importantly, one can avoid the never ending interrogation of your love life and future career plans (I’m in high school, Auntie). For the night you get to reinvent yourself as anyone you want without major judgment from the general population as most everyone celebrates. And when you look out onto the street and see the little witches, skeletons, and Power Rangers, milling around with laughing parents running from door to door of houses with creepy ghouls and toothy jack o’ lanterns, you always wonder why Halloween only lasts for a single night, and yet, that’s part of the appeal. So whether you’re going to a party, staying home and watching movies, or taking your little sibling trick or treating, I wish you all a safe holiday and a very scary Halloween.

Spookily yours,

Eleni