FMHS Online Student Newspaper

THE HIGH TIDE

Our Green Wave Grapplers

Mason Edsell, Staff

Our wrestling team has won a total of four state championships and were the runners-up five times; however, they’re severely unnoticed by the school. Football and basketball are arguably the most advertised and popular sports at Fort Myers High School. Smaller sports such as lacrosse, tennis, and golf are given little to no attention. The same goes for our Green Wave Grapplers. As prestigious as they are, they aren’t getting nearly as much praise and attention as they deserve.

Any wrestler, whether they’re new to the program or veterans of the mat, can tell you about the heart and hard work they put into this grueling competition. But what motivates one to make such a commitment? Each athlete has different reasoning behind participating the sports they play. Mason Evans, 2-year wrestler at Fort Myers, explains, “For me, it’s because my brother was a wrestler, and I wanted to be like him.” Once the bond with wrestling is made, one discovers the many different components of the sport. For instance, during match days, wrestlers can get out of class early to take on other teams, near or far. After the festivities come to a close, the eating begins. Making weight is an essential part of competitions. After they’ve completed their matches, wrestlers have a break from their diet and can eat their fill.

Making weight and leaving class early are only a couple of the benefits involved in wrestling. With wrestling itself being highly physically demanding, a great deal of conditioning and exercise is required to keep one’s body in shape. Rookie wrestler, Rudolf Oropesa, stated that the hardest part of conditioning is “when we went on that 6-mile run.” When engaging another wrestler, one must flex every muscle in their body as long as possible to ensure that they don’t let their defense down.

Between the power and muscle, however, is the intellectual aspect of wrestling. It takes quick thinking and a vast knowledge of moves and countermoves to decide who wins the match. Landen Luettich said that his “personal favorite move is the hip toss,” a move involving tossing the other wrestler over your shoulder and slamming them to the ground. This isn’t as simple as it sounds, however. There are many calculated steps involved with each and every movement.

The moves, the hard work, the heart, and the feeling of victory that comes with pinning an opponent is all very appealing. Yet one of the most iconic parts of wrestling is found on the outside. The singlet and headgear unique to the sport are “pretty fancy,” “really comfortable,” and “make you look pretty huge,” as agreed by all wrestlers interviewed. Our grapplers are always looking for new members who are ready to give it their all and bring home another championship for Fort Myers High School.

For more information on our wrestling program, visit greenwavegrapplers.com