FMHS Online Student Newspaper

THE HIGH TIDE

Filed under Sports, Uncategorized

Athlete of the Week: Darrian Felix

At the end of May, Fort Myers High School will lose one of the greatest football players to ever set foot on the iconic Sam Sirianni Field. Darrian Felix, FMHS Class of ’17, recently announced that he has committed to the University of Oregon to play football. During his time at FMHS as a varsity quarterback and running back, Felix has amassed a total of 45 touchdowns, 38 of which being rushing touchdowns. He averaged over 100 rushing yards per game and a total of over 2,750 throughout his 4-year varsity career. All of these achievements led to Felix’s ranking as the 5th all-purpose running back in the nation.

Pic Creds: Hudl

Recently, I had the opportunity to have a discussion with Darrian concerning his commitment to Oregon, his football future, and what he has already taken away from FMHS. Since so many different schools wanted Darrian to take his talents to their campuses, Oregon’s deep research, thinking, and hospitality is what persuaded Felix. He told me his choice to commit to Oregon was a very hard decision, sharing, “It was very hard knowing all the schools that I narrowed my list down to were very good schools.” Felix wasn’t lying about his impressive options. According to ESPN, Felix had offers from 24 different schools, including big names such as Tennessee, North Carolina, Clemson (this year’s National Champions), and Auburn. After choosing Oregon on January 8th, this 3-star recruit is sure to make waves in Oregon.

Since 8th grade, Darrian knew he had something special. After graduating from Paul Laurence Dunbar Middle School, Felix was already on the varsity football team as a freshman at FMHS. After college, Darrian hopes to take his talents to the NFL. Like all major athletes, he says he would feel blessed to have the opportunity to go pro. One of the most important topics we discussed was what he has learned at FMHS and what he will take away from his experiences here. When asked, Darrian responded, “Just to strive for your dreams, and keep moving forward!” From our “green and white” to Oregon’s “green and yellow,” Fort Myers’ high school football celebrity will be taking everything he learned at FMHS across the country to his new home with the Ducks. And there is no doubt he will impress.