FMHS Online Student Newspaper

THE HIGH TIDE

Filed under Opinion, Uncategorized

Literacy Week: 6 Great Rainy Day Reads

Generations of readers have relished in rainy days; they’re perfect for curling up with a cup of tea and a great book,
but alas! There are so many to choose from. How can one be expected to decide when there are so many beautiful stories out in the world? Well, here’s a place to start. While this list doesn’t even come near to capturing all of those twisty tales, hopefully, there are enough to keep you busy on our next day off.

1. All The Bright Places by Jennifer Niven

Quirky, unconventional love stories are what have consumed our media lately, but All The Bright Places beautifully captures a story of adventure, romance, and grief in an incredibly unique way. Not only is the novel uplifting and quirky, but Jennifer Niven also deals with tough topics like mental disorders without romanticizing them. If you’re looking for a story that will leave you laughing, crying, and with a gaping hole in your chest, All The Bright Places is the perfect rainy day read for you.

1. This is Where it Ends by Marieke Nijkamp

A tragic contrast to the typically popular teenage books, This is Where it Ends covers four stories
all tied together by one terrible event. A story that spans out over the course of only forty five minutes, Nijkamp captures four students fight for survival and heroism in a tear-jerking tragedy.

1. Every Day by David Levithan

Quite possibly one of my all time favorite books, Every Day tells the story of A, a soul who wakes up in a new body every day. With the same insecurities as normal students, A must learn to exist in a world where they are never noticed, loved, or needed. This is challenged, however, when A meets a girl that is worth sticking around for.

1. The Gigantic Beard That Was Evil by Stephen Collins

For those who prefer pictures with their stories, The Gigantic Beard That Was Evil is perfect, especially for a rainy, cloudy day. While it may sound a bit odd, this story has an insanely genius underlying moral, utilizing the metaphorical world of Here to address topics like conformation to society. It tells the tale of a man living in Here, and how is life is changed when he no longer fits in.

1. Gracefully Grayson Ami Polonsky

Gracefully Grayson is a breath of fresh air among recent literature. So often writing can fall habit to patterns. The same stories told about the same people, however Polonsky creates a startlingly unconventional story of Grayson, a boy who has never really felt at home in his body. The book follows his struggle to come to terms with who he really is without the support of parents, and how he learns to be comfortable in his own skin.

1. A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

About to be turned into a movie, A Monster Calls is a tragic story that deals with grief and the love between family. While romance books can be great, A Monster Calls faces a different kind of love; that between mother and child. It’s a supernatural and unique story that rides the line between what is real and what is imaginary.