FMHS Online Student Newspaper

THE HIGH TIDE

Freshman No More: Advice to Rising Sophomores

Alexis Queen, Kellie Weisse, and Janeen Banasiak

Phew, you’re done with Freshmen year! You are just getting started in high school, though. Sophomore year is full of surprises, new teachers, and new friends. You’ll take and survive Chemistry (study hard!), read exciting book titles-Macbeth, 1989, and Dante’s Inferno, and you’ll meet new people in your classes. It’s a big jump into Sophomore year from Freshman year. Many people are getting driving licenses and more classes are available to you that were in years past. With new freedom comes new responsibility; you’ll have to study harder. However, with friends (old and new) by your side, you’re sure to make your sophomore year a success. High Tide special contributors are here to make sure you have the best year you can.

Dear Sophomores,

Being a sophomore will definitely be more of a challenge than freshman year, but it will be fun if you involve yourself with things and people that make you happy.  I love golf, so one of my favorite parts of sophomore year was being on the golf team.  I got to spend time with people who have similar interests and made some great friends that are going through the same program as I am.  The more you put in, the more you get out, so try to get involved in sports or clubs that you enjoy but that don’t overwhelm you.  The last thing you need is a club or sport that only puts more stress on you.  As a student, it is great to do things in your free time that make you happy and take your mind off of the pressure of your classes.  At the same time, leave yourself a good amount of time to do homework and study.   For me, it is more stressful to be unprepared than it is to study for a long period of time.  Hard work is a key to success, and it is very rewarding when you see that hard work pay off. One of my biggest pieces of advice is to keep up with homework in every class.  Falling behind in a class is very stressful, and scrambling at the last second almost never turns out well.  Being organized is key, especially if you are busy with sports, music, clubs, and any other interests you may have.  Sometimes making a list can help me stay organized and then I can just check off each thing that I have to get done as I go.  There will definitely be times when you feel overwhelmed, over-stressed and overworked, but if you can be patient with yourself and use good time management, it is possible to get everything done on time.  The most important thing is to stay positive and patient with yourself, and then your goals will seem much easier to achieve.  Finding a balance between friends that make you happy, sports, clubs, or music that make you happy, and getting all of your work done are the keys to having a great year.   —  Kellie Weisse (’19)

Dear Class of 2020,

My name is Janeen Banasiak. You may or may not know me but this year I am a rising junior. Since you’ve already gone through your freshman year, you pretty much are familiar with the run down on how everything goes at our school. Personally, my sophomore year was pretty much the same as freshman year but it had its differences. I still met more people and made new friends,even some that I didn’t even know went to this school. Academic wise, it does get harder. I am in the traditional program and in all honors classes. It was definitely more work & harder than last year. However, it’s nothing you won’t be able to handle. My advice to you going into this next year and these years in general is to try and be as organized as possible.The more organized you are, the less stressed you and better off you are. Also, when you get homework – I know it sounds impossible – but just do it right away as soon as you get home, because if you don’t, you will procrastinate and end up not doing it. As you go through your years in high school, I think one of the key things is to stay balanced. Balance school with friends, sports, and any other extracurricular you are involved in. These are suppose to be some of the best years of our lives so let’s make it happen. Sincerely, Janeen (’19)