FMHS Online Student Newspaper

THE HIGH TIDE

Welcome to FM: Advice to the Rising Freshman

Alexis Queen, Rachael Dochinger, Christian Spencer, and Crishanna D

We all remember the first day of freshman year. Our maps were in our hands, providing a sense of security (even if they didn’t really help.) Walking into classes, eyes darted nervously around the room, looking for a familiar face. Dread filled stomachs as we neared the doors to the cafeteria. Images of sitting alone or in the bathroom flooded our senses. Summer assignments were neatly placed into binders, nestled along with fears of incorrect completion. When the 1:35 bell finally rings, a breath of relief is exhaled as the realization that the first day was successful sets in. Everyone has been there, even the confident-looking girl in your Geometry class. So, relax. High school is a whole new experience that will change the rest of your life. Freshman year is a mix of emotions and memories – from your first homecoming to your first real midterm week. It will be the- actually, wait. I’m a junior. I was in freshman year when the rising freshmen were in sixth grade.  Take it from some recent freshmen. 

Dear incoming freshmen,

I have four words for you: everything is about to change. Now that you are going to high school,  people will give you a new freedom that you have never been given before. You won’t have to wait in those pesky parent pickup anymore when some one is screaming, “Load up everyone!” You just get to go. You will make so many new friends and bond over homework and even really cool teachers. You won’t have to worry if you don’t know any one because it just means that you get to start over and meet new people. If I have one suggestion for you,  it is to get involved. Yes I know, everyone is saying that, and it might seem a little overwhelming. However, it really helps you to stay busy, make even more friends, and to have a great time. At times, high school might seem a bit stressful, but you will get through it, and when you do you will feel that much more accomplished. Get ready freshman, because everything is about to change, not for the bad, but for the good. Good luck! Have the best year ever! Love, Rachael Dochinger (’20)

Dear rising freshmen,
There’s a lot to be excited and prepared for this year! You’ll have new friends, new teachers, and new experiences. I want advise you to just stay calm and don’t freak out when something comes your way. That’s putting way too much pressure on yourself. Another thing is to try to be comfortable with talking to your teachers about projects, test scores, and anything else you might need assistance with.  For those of you who are interested in extracurricular activities, just make sure you are on top of everything and try to get into a routine of homework and things of that sort. I hope this helped some of you! Good luck! Sincerely, Christian Spencer (’20)

The following is a handy list of tips from Crishanna D, a rising Sophomore from the class of 2020.

• Go to many clubs + extracurriculars. You don’t have to be part of everything you attend; just find the ones that work for you.
  • Don’t be afraid to talk to new people and socialize with different people. Find you friend group that works for you.
  • Find a good place to have lunch with your friends during the first week. Usually, that will determine where you’ll sit for the rest of the year.
  • Don’t procrastinate.
  • Don’t try to do you homework; just do it.
  • Learn about college, GPA, credits and other information about your education. Being well informed will give you and idea of what you want your future to look like.
  • Become comfortable with your guidance counselor, because they will be of great assistance.
  • Try to be organized with school work and other aspects.
  • Be true to who you are and make sure everything you’re doing is for you own interests.
  • Don’t be that annoying person than runs and pushed people in the hallways. Calm down, you have seven minutes to get to and from classes.
  • Try to live in the moment because freshman year only happens once!

Welcome, incoming freshman!  Leave all your expectations and fears at the door and enter  high school with just an open mind.  Let loose because absolutely no one cares what you wear or what brand your highlight is.  You’re at school for your education, not a fashion show. So, come to school comfortable and only to impress yourself.  

I’ll start with the basics that you’ve probably heard millions of times. You’re not going to walk out of FMHS with the same people you walked in with so don’t stress it. High school is a time to focus on yourself and to figure out who you are and/or who you want to be.  Everyone is growing at his or her own pace so don’t feel bad about out-growing people; it happens to everyone.

As for your school work, do it.  School is hard, but you’ll make it worse if you fall behind.  Your life is what you make it. If you stress yourself out, then it’ll be stressful. Be bold, raise your hand, present first, and step out of your comfort zone. Personally, I never thought I would ever join a club. Now, I’m the Spanish club president.  Don’t worry about what people will think. If you find an interest, pursue it.

Over all, I survived freshmen year and continue to get through high school by following these three simple sayings:

1.  If you think you look good, you’ll feel good, and if you feel good you’ll do good.
  2. You are the company you keep.
  3. Live life with no expectations and an open mind.

Love, Jalene Roman (’19)