THE HIGH TIDE

Star Wars: The Last Jedi – Worthy of The Force?

Molly Heyner, Entertainment Editor

Credit: Google Images

The Star Wars Saga is easily one of the most beloved cinematic masterpieces of all time. No matter how old you are, there is a decent chance that you have seen at least one of the movies, new or old. These movies are very deeply loved and adored by millions. After years of waiting for more, the seventh episode came out in 2015 and got generally great reviews. This movie rekindled everyone’s love for the originals and got them all the more excited for Episode VIII which came out in late 2017.  However, not everyone was thrilled with The Last Jedi. Many said it became more of a Disney movie instead of Star Wars and it lacked the awe of the original six episodes. We went to some of our fellow FMHS students to get their opinions on the recent Star Wars flick.

“It was not Star Wars and I do not agree with it because they Disney-ed it up. There were no lightsaber battles and it just became gross.”   – Will Fisher, 11th

“I really enjoyed it! It was a little hard to watch because of Carrie Fisher and some of her scenes, but I thought it was a lot better than some of the reviews said, and it was really enjoyable.”   -Eren Sisk, 12th

“The actress who played Rose was just terrible. She was really cheesy and really bad but the animals were really cute. The plot was twisted from the original Star Wars movies so I know it confused people, and Kylo Ren and Rey had this weird mental connection throughout the entire movie and it was just creepy.” -Yanci De La Roz, 10th

“I don’t like it because there was no lightsaber battles and there were comedic values in the wrong places.”  -Reese Holiday, 11th

“I thought it was awesome that they had a strong female lead and it was a really good movie all around, I liked it.”  -Solana Millik, 9th

“I thought it was good, but there were a lot of parts to it that were really different and that showed a Disney side of the movie.”  -Grace O’Connor, 10th

“Ryan Johnson directed this new Star Wars and he made it more to the generation where they don’t know anything about Star Wars. If you actually know about from the very beginning, from Episode I all the way to Episode VI, there are a lot of plot holes and there are a lot of things that are incorrect about it.”   -Harold Silva, 12th

“I had mixed feelings about it because although it didn’t feel like a traditional Star Wars movie, it did have a similar plot to The Empire Strikes Back, the fifth episode. This made it kind of feel repetitive but it also made it more familiar and comfortable despite it being a Disney movie.”  -Jessica Anthony, 10th

In my opinion, I really enjoyed the eighth installment of the Star Wars franchise. There were some parts that I didn’t like at all, but there were other parts that I loved. I personally loved the comedic elements and i really enjoyed the character development throughout this movie. I also really liked the plot even though it was extremely similar to The Empire Strikes Back (which is my favorite Star Wars movie so that’s probably why I enjoyed it). In regards to the plot holes, I wouldn’t necessarily call them plot holes until after the ninth episode comes out. This isn’t a stand-alone movie so it is understandable for there to be a couple plot holes that they will tie together by the time this part of the saga comes to an end. Also, I have always been a huge Kylo Ren fan, and this movie did not disappoint in that department. I love his connection with Rey and I hope they will dive into that more in the next movie. Overall, I think it was a very good movie and I am extremely excited for more.