THE HIGH TIDE

Timothée Chalamet: Hollywood’s Next Big Thing

Emily Carroll

The name Timothée Chalamet has been taking over media since November of 2017. Chalamet is the 22 year old French-American actor who got his big break with his lead role as Elio Perlman in the new indie film Call Me By Your Name. Not only did this film do incredibly well at the box office, but it’s also been nominated for three academy awards, including Best Actor, Best Picture, and Best Writing Adapted Screenplay. With his nomination for Best Actor, Chalamet is setting records as the youngest nominee in decades, not to mention that if he wins he will be the youngest actor ever to win Best Actor at the Oscars.

Growing up, Timothée attended an arts high school where he became involved in theater and ended up scoring the role of Emcee in the school’s spring musical Cabaret. He began his movement toward movies by performing in simple short films, but it was his involvement on the TV show Homeland, where he played Finn Walden that got him started in the industry. Timothée entered the professional film world with his role as Danny Vance in Men, Women and Children and as young Tom in  Interstellar. It wasn’t until 2015 with the film One and Two that Timothée started receiving lead roles. Chalamet also appeared in Love the Coopers and Miss Stevens, both of which he was featured as a primary role.

While he was successful in his work, Timothée wasn’t a huge star. That is, until Call Me By Your NameCall Me really set the foundation for Timothée’s career, and it is the sole reason that he now sits with the other nominees for Best Actor. Though growing in popularity, Timothée seems to remain humble, and he looks up to various people in the acting community. When asked, Timothée descrimes himself as a “student” and he looks up to his mentors, ushc as costars Armie Hammer, from Call Me, and Saoirse Ronan, who he worked with on Lady Bird. Before his role in Call Me, Timothée stated that he had never been stopped by paparraxi before, and his newfound fame is still very new to him. Now, he is one of the biggest stars of 2018. It seems that every social media platform has something positive to say about Timothée Chalamet, and all for good reason. He’s a very talented and down-to-earth star.

Timothée will be starring in two upcoming films, one being Beautiful Boy, where he will work alongside Steve Carell, and the other being A Rainy Day in New York, which he will star in with Selena Gomez. Everyone is excited to see what’s to come from Timothée, and with the Oscar’s quickly approaching we wish the best of luck to Timothée, as well as all the other hard working individuals who put Call Me By Your Name together.