THE HIGH TIDE

Greenies, Near and Far: Summer Travels

Back to Article
Back to Article

Greenies, Near and Far: Summer Travels

Alexis Queen, Editor-In-Chief

As summer comes to an unfortunate close, many students are taking to social media to mourn the last few moments of summer in the form of the perfect throwback photo. Students traveled around the world, trading the Florida heat for British countrysides and (clean) coastal beaches. With school starting in less than 24 hours, the High Tide caught up with some students to speak about their summer experiences.

Sachi Peiris, 12 went across the pond to the UK at the end of July. “London, the Lake District, Stone Henge, and Birmingham”, said Sachi of the things he did. He said, “it was a great experience because I got to see things I’ve never seen before and to go shopping in some cool malls and spend some quality time with my family.”

You can find Sachi on Instagram as @sachi27.

Addie Jenkinson, 11 drove across the country to California with her family this summer. With such a long ride, they made some pit stops in interesting places. Pictured here was a stop in Winslow, Arizona, a location popularized by the Eagles song “Take it Easy.”  Arizona, in Addie’s words, is “a lot different from Fort Myers because there were only small towns every so often that you could tell had suffered when Route 66 was replaced by the major highway. There also seemed to be surprisingly more tourists there than are here.”

You can find Addie on Instagram as @addiejenkinson

Sasha Greene, 12 went down south to Key West, Florida. “We went parasailing, jet skiing, banana boating,” Sasha said. Additionally, Greene and her family got to see The Hemingway Competition, an annual Key West event featuring look-alikes of the late author. Reflecting on the trip, Greene said “I would definitely go back. Maybe even live there one day.”

You can find Sasha on Instagram as @sasha9879

Sophie Bayne, 10 went Midwestern this summer, traveling to Madison, Ohio.  It was a family affair, as she tubed on the lake with her mom, dad, sister, and dog. “Going to the family lake house is always fun. It’s nice to see my cousins because I almost never see them. Tubing is really fun when we try to throw each other off, and on the Fourth of July, we do relay games,” Bayne said.

You can find Sophie on Instagram as @iuolihpos

Cassie Gempesaw, 10 went on a trip to explore Florida. She and her family hit some classic Florida spots, from West Palm Beach to Miami. “I went to visit Wynwood Walls and this cool place in the city of Coral Gables near Miami where they had this umbrella sky. I definitely got a lot of pictures, it was a lot of fun, and I can’t wait until next summer,” she said, reflecting on the trip.

You can find Cassie on Instagram as @cassiegempesaw

Justin Powell, 11 took a coastal trip to the Dominican Republic with his family this summer. “I went with my family. From scuba diving to cave diving to mud-buggy riding, along with plenty of other excursions, I got to take advantage of all the DR has to offer, making for an amazing vacation,” Powell said.

You can find Justin on Instagram as @justintpow